50% in 4.5 hours

For a while, I intended on reading It's Kind of a Funny Story. I began the book in eighth grade but for some reason or other, I abandoned it. Over the weekend, I went to Disneyworld, and I threw a few books from my shelf into my carry-on bag in case the plane didn't have T.V screens on the backs of the seats. I'm very grateful that the plane was from 1994 because this gave me a chance to breeze through this book during the total of 4 hours and 30 minutes that it took me to fly to and from Orlando. Before I had abandoned the book, I made through about half of it, and I have a pretty good memory, so I was able to pick up where I left off.
The book is told through the perspective of Craig, a teenager that suffers from depression. He has thoughts of suicide and calls a suicide hotline. He then is checked into a mental hospital where he spends time healing. The book revolves around his journey to mental health. At a particularly painful time, he says "I can't eat and I can't sleep. I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human, you know?" There tends to be a stigma around the legitimacy of mental illness. When something isn't physically identifiably broken, it's difficult to prove it to be legitimate. The purpose of this book was to spread awareness on mental illness. To be completely honest, before reading this, I didn't know the toll it took on a person. When Craig points out the physical repercussions of his depression, it may help to legitimize the suffering.

Comments

  1. I really liked the theme you picked out of the book and your insight on the ignorance we have about mental illness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts